Tuesday 15 November 2011

Snapshot Diary - HarperCollins September 2011

My final book publishing placement of this year, took place at HarperCollins book publishers. In this company, I was part of the Avon team, a small team division, within the publicity department.

I was lucky enough to gain this placement during the time I was at London Confidential, because it was there that I did quite a lot of book reviews, and therefore I was in touch with book publicists frequently.

One day, I emailed a HarperCollins Publicist asking for some press pictures, and I also asked about any available work experience places. It was lucky I did ask because she was able to book me a placement there and then.

The tasks that I was involved in were:

  • Mail outs
  • Inputting data into spreadsheets
  • Buying materials for publicity campaigns
  • Creating showcards
  • Composing press releases

By now, if you have kept up with my snapshot diaries, you’d see that across the work placements I have undertaken the tasks have all been fairly similar. Evidently within all the publicity placements I have done. However, don’t forget you can go onto the prospects site and check out their ‘career profiles’ pages. You can do this for any role in the publishing industry or any other sector. It will give you a more in depth analysis of the different types of roles available.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Avon, and all the employees were very helpful. I would definitely say that this was one of the best book publishing placements I had been on, and I know my time there was completely appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment