Saturday 5 January 2013

My Graduate Success: A New Year for the Publishing Professional

Back in November 2012 I wrote a post called ‘My Graduate success: My New Beginning’ which briefly covered how I secured my new job. Now that it’s January 2013 and the start of a new year, I feel it would be appropriate to write a follow up post to reflect how I'm getting on in my new role. The step away from marketing has certainly made me think about how my career may progress in years to come, whether I would go back to marketing, start a brand new career or become a senior PA. As I’m still only 21, I'm still not entirely sure yet where my career is heading.

My new role is such a contrast from the marketing department, it’s hard to believe I have been working in the same building all along because the team, the atmosphere and environment couldn’t be more different. Since changing roles, I’ve realised that enjoying the work is only one factor to enjoying a job. I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently, and when I reflect on the present, I realise why I love my new job more than simply enjoying the work. I'm finding myself taking on new challenges, working with a fantastic team and I have a great boss.

I love the fact that there’s so much opportunity for me to learn and develop in my new role. Even the role itself is somewhat of a challenge as I’ve never been a PA before. I’m lucky enough to be able to go on various courses this year that will enable me to become a better PA. 

The Team
Another significant factor to loving my job has to be the team. Everyday I’m working with so many different characters and I love it. I’ve always believed that you should surround yourself by people that inspire you and being part of this team is no less than fabulous. It has even inspired me to develop my working relationships and read books about how to work effectively with different people. For instance, I never knew there were colours to represent different types of people. 

The Boss
I’ve always known that liking your boss was going to be important and after now experiencing three different bosses, I’ve certainly found a new appreciation for a boss that I can be fond of, rather than one I just tolerate. It makes a huge difference to working life, and I will go as far to say that a boss will either make or break a job. I read on Google that the number one reason why people leave their job is because they dislike their line manager. Luckily I won’t be one of those people.

In future, I have no idea what will happen with my career but I’m excited for a new year. 2012 was amazing as I received my degree, secured a job and was awarded blog of month by the Good Web Guide. I hope 2013 is just as good to me. For now, I plan to progress, develop and take on new challenges because hopefully, the only way is up.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Steff
    Just wanted to say that your blog has been a life line since graduating and I've just managed to secure a paid internship at an independent publishing house. I couldn't have done it without your brilliant advice!

    Thanks x

    ReplyDelete